Exchanges

Qatar Exchange strengthens executive team

The Qatar Exchange has bolstered its senior management team with the appointment of three executive officers, two of which have held roles at US and European trading venues.

Saif Khalifa al-Mansoori has been promoted deputy CEO following a ten-year tenure at the Qatar Exchange during which he has served as acting general manager and manager of the trading department and audit, surveillance and inspection department.

Olivier Gueris, most recently head of market operations at bank-owned pan-European multilateral trading facility Turquoise, has been appointed as chief operating officer of the Qatar Exchange. He has also worked at the Boston Options Exchange as vice president, market operations, as head of derivatives market operations for NYSE Euronext in Paris and was in charge of international business development at GL Trade, the trading technology provider that was bought by SunGard in August 2008.

Karim Hajali takes up the role of chief commercial officer, joining the Qatar Exchange from NYSE Liffe, the derivatives exchange operated by NYSE Euronext, where he was director of equity and index derivatives in Europe. Hajali has also held senior positions at ING, Calyon and Barclays and was a member of the Euronext Paris executive committee.

Andre Went, CEO of the Qatar Exchange, said in a statement: “These appointments add significant strength and depth to the senior management team at the Qatar Exchange. As we begin the transformation process and implement industry leading technology and standards, it is essential that we complement local talent and knowledge with international expertise. Mr. Al-Mansoori is one of the most experienced managers at the Qatar Exchange and his knowledge of both the business and local market is a great asset.

I am also encouraged that our ambitious strategic vision, coupled with our strong partnership with NYSE Euronext, means that we are able to attract industry-leading management from well-established international exchange businesses.”

Global exchange group NYSE Euronext and the State of Qatar entered into a strategic partnership to launch the rebranded Qatar Exchange, formerly the Doha Securities Exchange, last June with the aim of developing Qatar as a key regional centre for investment globally.

NYSE Euronext paid US$200 million for a 20% stake in the Qatar Exchange, the largest investment the exchange group has made in a foreign exchange. Qatar Holding, the direct investment arm of the Qatar Investment Authority retained the remaining 80%.